Today I suggest a smooth and short but pretty strong and important reading from Security&Privacy titled "A Taxonomy of Social Networking Data" by Bruce Schneier. The ClearText is on the last page of S&P which in this issue means on page 88. Bruce described 6 different Data types as:
- Service Data: is the data you give to a social networking site in order to use it.
- Disclosed Data: is what you post on your own page.
- Entrusted Data: is what you post in other people's pages. Once you post such data you loose the control over it.
- Incidental Data: is what other people post about you. You don't have the control over it and you didn't create it
- Behavioral Data: is the data the web site collects about your habits by recording what you do and what you like.
- Derived Data: is the data about you that is derived from all the other data. For example if 80 percent of your friends self-identify as gay, you're likely gay yourself.
If you get the chance read it.